Saturday, November 21, 2009

Can computers think like brains of living things?

  • I was sitting before my PC as usual doing my routine blogging work and was wondering at the way the computer listens to our commands and make our life easier. At the same time my mind wandered to think as to whether the computer can also think like other living creatures. After sometime I concluded to myself that the computer can never be equated to a living thing as it can only perform our commands but surely will not be able to think like living things.
  • But to my surprise I discovered that the scientists at IBM Corp have stimulated a cat's cerebral cortex the thinking part of the brain rising a massive super computer. The computer has 147,456 processors.
  • This computer has 144 terabytes of main memory-100,000 times more than your computer has.
  • The latest stimulation which runs 100 times slower than an actual cat's brain is more about watching how thoughts are formed in the brain and how the roughly one billion neurons and ten trillion synapses in a cat's brain work together.
  • A program was created to tell the supercomputer to behave how a brain is believed to behave. The computer was shown images of corporate logos and the scientists watched as different parts of the stimulated brain worked together.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
Add to Mixx!

Stumble Upon Toolbar
allvoices

0 comments:

Post a Comment